Sunday 9 July 2017

Piggy Bank savings reveal.

Val's Quilting Studio

Last year and this year I joined in with Val's Piggy Bank Challenge  This is a very simple challenge. First identify a piggy bank. My piggy bank has been around in the family for a number of years, so long I've actually forgotten which of our three children it originally belonged to. Anyway Piggy wasn't being used and so was perfect for the challenge.


Fortunately Piggy has a rubber bung in the base so you can get the money out, unlike several china pigs I've seen where you have to smash the pig to get the money.

Step 2 is to save change over the year to buy quilting supplies. Piggy was quite full when I emptied him with a total of £247. There was a few odd pence and these have been put back into Piggy to start this years collection. My saving hasn't been consistent as some weeks I remember to drop any change into pig but then I'll go for a few weeks where I save nothing. That makes the total even more welcome and it will be spent on quilting.

I want to make this quilt which was featured in Today's Quilter.


I've more or less made my decisions about the colour palette I want to use so now I just need to buy the fabric. Thanks to Piggy I have the cash to buy what I need for the project plus whatever else catches my eye. Now all I need to do is organise my trip to a quilt shop or more likely several quilt shops to get exactly what I want.  

This challenge has worked in so many ways. First saving my change for quilting supplies means I don't give in to the temptation of a chocolate bar so the waistline doesn't suffer. Then I had the fun of counting the cash and being very pleasantly surprised at how much there was and finally the fun of shopping for the supplies to look forward to in the next couple of weeks. I shall be linking with Val for her 5th annual piggy bank challenge over the coming year.

I'm linking this post with Val for her end of challenge reveal.

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. Oh how fun, I am anxious to see your fabric palette and to watch the quilt progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndsey I love that pattern...especially the little camper! I'm so glad the challenge has been successful for you and that you'll be joining us again. I agree with you that's it's fun when "counting" day comes...I was pleasantly surprised this year with my amount saved too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea - it's amazing how quickly the change mounts up.
    I like your new pattern, and I love the little camper too, probably because we have a caravan and often have little trips away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the savings. glad you were able to get what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea, have fun spending your hoard :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will be darling. I am always amazed at how quickly the change adds up.

    ReplyDelete