Sunday 4 June 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

After all the sewing, ironing and partying of yesterday, today has been a very slow day. I didn't sleep well last night and was awake after a fitful four hours sleep. There was no point in getting up and trying to do some sewing or work as this is how my Sunday after my chemo usually starts. Instead I made a cup of tea and played a couple of games on my phone and read a little. This eventually helped me doze off for another hour and a half at which point the world was starting to wake. Sundays are a slow day in our house and nearly always involves taking Scamp for a morning walk. This morning as we set off for the walk I called my older daughter Katy as I knew she and her boyfriend Olly had been working in Borough Market yesterday and may have stayed into the evening having met up with friends. I stopped myself phoning on Saturday night after I found out about the terrorist attack as by that time they were most likely asleep and I didn't want to wake them. They had been home when it happened but did have friends who were in one of the pubs in the area. Richard is also waiting to hear that all the people he used to work with and knew in the area are safe. 

Our walk over the common with Scamp proceeded at a much slower pace than some days but was very enjoyable. Scamp loves his walks and today even enjoyed a little paddle in the pond. By the time we got home it was lunch time after which I settled down to answer some emails. Well try to answer emails really as I kept dozing off. Scamp made himself comfortable on my lap and we enjoyed a companionable nap.

I had planned to start work on Beulah today. Barbara from Cat Patches commented that she found Beulah a little scary and I agree. She also looks rather sad.


Eventually about 6 p.m. I managed to make a start on the stitching. I started with her dress but haven't got very far yet. I will continue with a little more stitching once I've finished this post.



I want to try and make Beulah less scary and a little happier as I stitch her. I'm not sure how to do this but I'll get some ideas as I work on her.

Whilst stitching I was trying to work out my plan for completing the next border on my compass quilt. For the border I need to make 80 flying geese and four cornerstones. I have to plan the fabric as half have be dark at the middle and the other half light. They are then placed alternately light and dark around the border. There is also the need to share the fabrics out for colour and pattern around the four sides. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this or just be ensuring the finished quilt looks good. I also want to decide my one monthly goal for June but I'm not sure I've got time for the flying geese to be that goal. All this thinking on a Sunday evening is just too much. Maybe I'll just make another cup of tea.

I'm linking this post with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching or in my case extremely slow Sunday stitching. Do go and visit and see what everyone has been working on.

Lyndsey



4 comments:

  1. You're right, Beulah is scary and I think it's in her eyes. She does look like a poor thing. This series is really nice; I love seeing all of the versions people are making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Beulah looks sad and scary. I think if you could somehow give her brows and mouth an uplift she would look happier and less scary. It seems that you know your limitations after treatments and have learned to adjust appropriately. Hey, naps with Scamp don't sound so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is looking more and more beautiful and you have so much patience to get all those lovely points in. I agree... Beulah, and perhaps it is the line of her mouth, is looking a little downcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anxious to see how you handle Beulah she is definitely a sad lady. But I am confident you will figure out a way to brighten her demeanor. I remember naps were really good during treatment especially after a fitful night. Nothing wrong with those naps and I am sure Scamp approved too.

    ReplyDelete