Monday 21 November 2016

Slowly moving projects along.

Yesterday I taught a First Aid course for my Guide county. This is a six hour course so there was no stitching time during the day. As I arrived home the rain started which was perfect as I could settle down to an evening of hand stitching whilst watching a Sherlock Holmes film I'd recorded. My new magnifying light is perfect for cross stitch and this week I've been working on the Christmas tree piece. The tree is a bit of a pain to stitch as there are quite a lot of single stitches of one colour and the gap is too far to the next single stitch. This makes it slow to grow as you are constantly joining in a new colour and fastening it off.

Today it  stopped raining long enough to take Scamp for a long walk but then restarted and the light is very poor. Many areas of England have experienced high winds and flooding  with the rain falling as snow further north. Not sure what's happening with the weather as it's still only November. Still the rain gave me a good excuse to get my sewing machine out and make a start on another of my half done projects. I'm really enjoying getting projects finished and of course that means I'll be ready to start a whole lot more in the new year.

This quilt was made from a panel that I received in a scrap bag I bought last year. I added two borders, one blue and then the green one. This afternoon I quilted around the spaceships and planets and did a large meander over the green border. It's now ready to add the binding. I've got some of the deep blue fabric that I'll use for that. It's such a cute panel and when completed will be donated to Linus.


I also finished the bunney cushion cover. Now I need to make the cushion to fit the cover. I could just buy one but the nearest shops only sell square cushions.


I love the fabric on the back of the cover.


Finally, after dinner I settled down to do some more hand stitching.  When I picked it up it looked like this.


It's slow work but I've managed to move this project forward a little .


I would have got slightly further but I had a real tussel with the gold metallic thread. It kept on shredding and breaking. In the end I took out most of it and used a new thread. It looks about the same colour but is a lot easier to work with. I've also been keeping up with knitting John's jumper.

It's still raining outside and the temperature has dropped. That doesn't bode well for a good commute to work tomorrow.

Lyndsey

5 comments:

  1. Love your bunny with flower spray. I had the same problem with gold metallic thread...a real pain to use. Good luck with the rest of your cross stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A child is really going to love that quilt. Such a great organization. When my metallic thread gets to be a pain I will condition it with Thread Heaven. Is it available in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that metallic thread a bugger? I've had the same problem with it. I love your floral bunny. Very cute. I think we're enjoying the same weather

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I must tell you that I absolutely love the name of your blog - you made me smile! That quilt is so cute! Any child would love it! Your cross stitch is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have been busy on lots of great projects. The bunny is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete