Wednesday 28 January 2015

Trying to catch up

As Wednesday is all about work in progress I've spent my time trying to catch up with last years rainbow scrap challenge. The last set of blocks I made were for September,s colour so I set out to get up to date. I am making two sets of blocks for this challenge. The first a nice straightforward 9 patch and the second using hexies. I haven't started on the hexie blocks yet but they make up quickly whilst watching TV.

October's colour was black/grey/brown so this is what I made.



I used my old cutting board yesterday when I taught a quilting class. As you can see it got all fluffy and needs a serious clean but I was in a bit of a rush to get this post written before sorting out what I need for tonight's guide meetings and organising dinner so cleaning it was last on mt list.

Next I made the baby blue blocks for November.



and finally December was use any colour you have lots of so my blocks are mixed colours.




I also made up a baby quilt top. I have a work colleague who is going on maternity leave in early February so this one needs to be finished this month.



Yesterday I when went to the quilt shop with a totally different idea in my head for this quilt but I saw the Michael Miller elephant fabric and feel in love with it. I realised when looking at it that the elephants do not walk across the fabric in a nice straight line as there is a drop on the pattern but I still loved it and it makes it appear the elephants are moving (well it does to me).

Tomorrow I need to get some wadding and backing fabric so I can get this finished. The binding will be the dark blue fabric. The finished quilt is 4 33 by 40inches.

That's all the sewing time I have for now but hopefully I'll start on the hexi blocks this evening when I flop in front of the TV after Guides. We have a large group of girls at the moment and it makes for an exhausting evening. For now I'm going to put together a fish pie for dinner. 

I'm linking up with Monika at The needle and thread network and Lee at Freshly Pieced

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. That elephant fabric is adorable! I'll bet Baby will enjoy it completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does indeed look like the elephants are walking. Interesting how sometimes we see a fabric and it is just what we want, even though we had different ideas in mind to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the elephant fabric and the design you've made. I'd like to make one of those 'Strippy' quilts one day but first I need to find the right fabric! Catching up on RSC is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic use of the elephant print. It makes me very unhappy when I see a print go off the grain like yours, but I guess that's something only a quilters sees....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, visiting from GYB, following you on bloglovin, hope you come over and visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling baby quilt! I love the elephants . . . and you're right . . . they do look like they're marching across the top!! Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete