Friday 23 May 2014

Two finish Friday

This week has been a good week for finishes. A while ago I was asked to make a quilt for a baby boy, Thomas.  The suggestion was that I made it in Chelsea football club colours as his dad supports Chelsea. That sounded fine but I decided to make the front using some boy friendly prints. I just love the car patterns. However I used blue white and yellow. I took the quilt to the boathouse to take the photo but it was difficult to find a place to drape it. Unfortunately it was raining outside.



For the back I stuck with solid colours and managed to find a blue the same as the one used by Chelsea. 

The quilting is a large all over meander using a variegated blue thread. Because the meander is large the quilt feels really soft. It has now gone off to it's new owner and I'm told it is greatly appreciated.

Staying with the baby theme my second finish of the week is the knitted baby blanket. This is for Arthur who is due in August. The yarn is double knitting and really soft. This is the second time I have made this pattern. It knits up very quickly but looks really effective.



I took the photo out in our garden. The plants on the table are begonias which are waiting to be planted in our window boxes. Unfortunately we run out of time. The chair is going to the tip as we are getting a new table and chair set. As it was so messy the blanket is draped over a plastic sheet.

My third job for the week was to cut up my child friendly fabrics into 5 inch charms. The Brownies are going to stitch these into quilts for young girls who are either in hospital or living in a shelter for victims of abuse and domestic violence.


Cutting fabric sound a very light activity but I was really tired by the time I had finished. We are all ready to start our quilts after the school half term holiday.

This weekend is a long weekend with a bank holiday on Monday. We are having an away weekend staying in Folkstone. This is a seaside town in Kent and will gives us a base to explore the area a little more. We've left Richard at home looking after Scamp and Picasso. Scamp looked very miserable when we left him behind. Never mind we will be home again on Sunday.

I'm linking this post with Richard and Tanya Link a finish Friday and Crazy mom quilts finish it up Friday.

I hope you all have a great weekend

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. How great to be teaching girls to quilt and then to give the quilts to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyndsey, The blue and gold quilt came out great. I love the way you used the background fabric to float all the blocks! Great use of negative space! And the knit blanket is beautiful, your knitting is so perfect, I wish I could knit that well. What lucky children to recieve those gifts! cheers, CW

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a gorgeous quilt, and very suitable for a boy. Love the baby blanket too, I can't imagine having the patience to knit a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the knit blanket! Will you share the source for the pattern?

    ReplyDelete