Wednesday 28 May 2014

Strip-easy Challenge

Grab button for Pieced Brain

Denise over at Pieced Brain is running a linky party today with the challenge of making something from left over strips. Now I don't know about you but I have a lot of scraps and recently I set about cutting them into usable pieces.


By the time I had finished I had 3 plastic boxes of strips in widths from 1 inch to 3 inches. I also had a range of squares from 11/2 inch to 5 inches. Now all I needed to do was get my sewing machine fired up to get my project made.

My charm squares are going to be used by my Brownie pack to make some quilts for sick children. They want to make the quilts for girls so I decided to make a baby quilt for a boy. I decided to use some charm squares I had cut but also a lot of the strips..



Unfortunately I had to take the photo in doors as it was raining (again). The quilt is 33 by 40 inches. All the charms squares and strips have been cut from my scrap fabric. I had some strips of the sashing fabric but had to buy some more as I wanted to use the same fabric for the back and binding The batting is 80:20 and it is quilted with an all over large meander. This is a really quick baby quilt to make. The slowest part was cutting my scraps into strips.

I have made a strip baby quilt before but that was made from a jelly roll. Those pre-
cuts do cut down the preparation time. For this quilt I used the off cuts of the strips to make a rainbow binding.



I have a lot more strips to use up. I shall be making a couple more baby quilts to go to Project Linus.

Thank you Denise for running this challenge as it has made me sort out my scraps and make something useful from them. The next quilts will be much quicker to make as all the cutting has been done.

Why not visit Pieced Brain to see what other people have made with their strips. As I still have a lot of strips I'm interested in getting more ideas.

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. Great idea using the charm squares with the strips. Ties it together nicely. Also love the Jelly roll steps. Nice job. I am impressed that you cut and organized all of your scraps. Me I just dug out what I needed and put the lid back on the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always make rail fences and postage stamps with your strips! I love the chevron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hopping over from the hop, love scrappy.. I dont want to sort though, lol its pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndsey, what an awesome quilt!!! Sorry it took so long to stop by!

    ReplyDelete