Friday 21 March 2014

Spring and sewing time finally arrive.

I'm doing a happy dance as I have finally had a little time to get to my sewing machine. Add to that the promise of some better weather as we move into spring. For the last few weeks work has taken over yet again and I haven't had much time to do anything not even 15 minutes stitching a day. Then last weekend the weather was beautiful with the temperature hitting 19 C so we decided to walk the next part of the Capital Ring. This is a walking route that goes all the way round London covering 78 miles in total. We walked an 8 mile section and it felt wonderful to be out in the fresh air with the sun shining. Having enjoyed a free day I decided enough was enough and I needed to get back to my sewing. So this week I have been catching up with a few bits, nothing big but enough to get excited about.

First I completed the February hexie block for my Rainbow scrap challenge. February's colour was pink.


Then I made the hexie block for March. The colour this month is taupe. These blocks finish at 16 inches. The hexies have been stitched to the background fabric but I want to use a fancy stitch around the edge to finish them off.


Then I made the nine patch squares for March. This photo was taken with a different camera and the fabric looks more blue where as the top one looks greener. The real colour is somewhere in between!


Next I added the fleece backing to the 4 prem baby quilt tops that some guides had made recently. The girls decided that new members have to make a prem quilt top when they join. The girls choose their own fabric from our stash and when it is completed we add the fleece. These will go off to the local neonate intensive care unit soon.


I also made two more blocks for the 'Votes for women' quilt I just had to lay the blocks out to check how they looked. My daughter has chosen a purple fabric for the sashing and white cornerstones. I now want to finish the last blocks so I can get this quilt moved on.



Finally I decided to cut out a heap of hexie templates for the quilt I'm making for my younger daughter. The quilt is being made in rounds with each round being a colour of the rainbow. I started with red at the center and I've reached the indigo round. I think I cut about 300 templates and pieces of fabric. It's another great way to use up scraps.


I'm now planning my weekend as I have some housework to get done but it will still leave lots of sewing time. I need to catch up with the row along I doing as the next row was posted yesterday. I'm going to work on the February catch up first and then I've got several blocks cut out and ready to stitch for other projects. On Sunday I'm going to do some hand stitching including sewing the binding on the bird quilt and I must start my March NewFO project. This promises to be a very good weekend.

I hope the weather has improved where you are and that you've had some time for sewing. I also need to catch up on my blog reading as I am way behind. I've really missed reading what you've all been doing and I'm looking forward to catching up.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely work going on there,love the Hexis.The purple quilt is gorgeous.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you are sew busy and making huge progress on your fabric bits. Love the purple blocks quilt. Creative Stitching Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy. My thoughts turn to sewing in the summer. The best room for setting up my sewing machine is really warm and bright in summer and it overlooks the garden which is usually looking pretty then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of things happening in your part of the world. An eight mile hike is pretty impressive.

    As for the weather, after warm and humid for the past couple of weeks, ours has taken a turn for the worse -- grey and raining and cool! Ah well, autumn is well under way and winter isn't too far off!

    ReplyDelete