Sunday 19 January 2014

A little bit of this and that.

This last week has been another busy week, one where you feel like you're in continuous motion so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I'd actually managed some sewing along the way. Last week I started the 15 minute challenge. I was going to try and do at least 15 minutes of stitching a day. I managed the 15 minutes each day but that was about all.

I had decided to make a hexie block each month as part of the Rainbow Scrap challenge. The block finishes at 16 inches square which will give me a nice size lap quilt when it is finished. In making this block I found that I didn't have that many blue scraps. The hexies are made by the English Paper piecing method and then machine appliqued on to the backing fabric. Note to self need more blue fabric



Earlier today I was looking at my millennium sampler. I had put this away as I couldn't get the butterflies to work. When I picked it up today I decided to start work on the crown. I haven't got very far with it but at least I've made a start.




Yesterday as part of our plan to get out more we visited Kew Gardens. The weather was nice and bright and not too cold, the perfect day for a walk. I took my camera with me intending to get some views for you but I forgot I had it until we were almost at the end.

This peacock wanted to get his head into my hand bag which is what reminded me I had my camera. The colours of his feathers were amazing.



There are quite a number of old trees that are interesting shapes. I particularly liked the shape of this one


Here is the view across the main lake



and we came across several geese busy grazing.


After we had walked round the Palm House Kathryn our older daughter took the opportunity to have her photo taken in front of the Unicorn of Scotland. She has always loved unicorns.


When we had arrived at Kew we had parked our car in one of the side streets which happened to be near one of my favourite quilt shops. Tikki of Kew has a fabulous range of fabrics and I just had to pop in. I bought 5 FQ's  The reds and the black and white FQ's are for my February NewFO. The purple is for the EPP grandmother's garden quilt I am making for Lucy. I've spend quite a bit of time this week making purple 'flowers' for the next round. 



I haven't posted about my January NewFO yet and I've almost completed my January goal for ALYOF. I'm hoping this coming week will be another week when I get to do some sewing every day. For now I'm going to get back to my cross stitched crown. I want to finish that this week.

I'm linking this post with Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday. It is so relaxing to slow the pace down on a Sunday and do some hand stitching. I hope you've had time for some stitching today.

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been pretty busy! I love peacocks and their colors, I should make a quilt one day using those bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day out, nice fabrics too. Well done on managing your 15 minutes a day too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I wish I had been there to spend the day at Kew Gardens. I am one of those Americans who calls herself a displaced Anglophile. I would give might right arm to live across the pond. Your tree shots and the one of the peacock are beautiful. Like your hexie block. The colors are so pretty. genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we just surprise ourselves with what we are able to get done!

    Did you see I have also joined the 1,000 mile challenge? Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beautiful daughter spells her name the same as I do :)
    Hope you enjoyed your slow stitching and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the sampler looks wonderful! Is there an error on the chart maybe?

    ReplyDelete