Tuesday 26 February 2013

A February Finish.

  Never Too Hot to Stitch!

At the end of 2012 I decided to join both of these links in order to finish up the few UFO's I had and to stay on top of the new projects coming on line this year. For February I committed to finishing my Dresden plate quilt. My husband bought me the quilt kit in October 2011 when we visited the Stitching and Knitting Show at Alexandra Palace in London. I opened the kit and read the instructions and spent ages stroking the fabric but put it away to do later. In April last year when I started this blog I started the quilt. I'd never made a Dresden plate block before and hadn't quilted in a couple of decades so it was a slow and shaky start but with the support of my readers and followers the project started to take shape and I began to enjoy making it. On Saturday I had very nearly completed the quilt but the tension on my machine began to play up so I used another machine to attach the binding.  On Sunday I hand stitched the back of the binding and very late that evening. I got the machine tension working properly and completed the quilting.

Yesterday I took the quilt to work with me so I could take the photographs outside. Opposite where we work is a park and I decided this would provide a good backdrop.


Unfortunately I didn't want to lie it over the grass as that was quite wet. Th light wasn't all that great as my first chance to get outside was 4 pm.


I will post some photos of the quilting in the near future as it doesn't show up on these but I am quite please with it even though on occasions my FMQ has gone a little wonky.

I also had planned to finish the top on my Christmas quilt so that I could work on the quilting next month.  Unfortunately I haven't reached that point. All 49 of the granny square blocks are done but they still need to be trimmed and I need to cut out the sashing. 

I am  linking up with  Connie at Freemotion by the river for her Tuesday linky party, Sharon at Pin Tangle  and Lee at Freshly Pieced for their work in progress Wednesday and Richard and Tanya for Link a finish Friday.

I'm now going to fit in a little stitching before bed time. Unfortunately I'm working every day this week so the stitching will have to be squeezed into the evenings. 

I hope you had time for a little sewing today.

Lyndsey

12 comments:

  1. Lyndsey your quilt is so beautiful and congrats on a wonderful finish! Now can I give my snow to you and I want that beautiful green grass!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Lyndsey, what a great job you've done and I loved hearing mention of Ally Pally and the Knit & Stitch show - it was a lovely reminder of home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! It is a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. You must be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It is a beautiful quilt in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great finish. I can see why it would take you so long to cut into this. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous garden quilt. You got some very pretty pictures of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt -- well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for linking up in March to Richard and Tanya Quilts on our Link a Finish Friday. We will have a new linkup available every Friday. So stop by and share what you have been working on and check out what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete