Thursday 6 December 2012

A little quiet contemplation

I had intended writing a post every day this week as I had planned in lots of sewing time so would have lots of things to write about. Yesterday I had just finished cutting out the lining and handles for my mini Christmas tote bags when the phone rang  and I was told that an elderly friend had been admitted to hospital seriously ill. So since then has been a bit of a roller coaster. It was lovely being able to sit with him and hold his hand even though he didn't always know we were there and he died today peacefully in his sleep. The experience has made me realise how much pressure we put on our selves to continually fill our time whether with chores or pleasurable occupations like quilting. Yesterday I didn't begrudge going and being with my friend but I do remember worrying that I might not have time to finish the tasks I had set myself. Looking back on the last two days which I know have been very well spent I realise that I have been missing out on small pleasures as I try to complete various projects and push my self to make 'better' use of my time. We need to enjoy the people who are special to us  and also enjoy the process of our hobbies not just the end product.

I think that's enough of me getting philosophical and more than time to consider what I've been up to. As you can imagine I haven't had much time in the last two days but as I use sewing as a means of relaxing I have some things to show you. I completed this weeks block for the Votes for Women BOW. If you want to know more there is a button on the right of this post.



These blocks make up 8 inches. Apart from one, the blocks have all gone together really well. I also cut out the fabric for a Christmas table runner which I am making using a pin wheel design. All the half square triangles are sewn and ready to join together. Having cut this out I am now completely out of Christmas fabric. I am using 4 different Christmas prints in the design.




 I also continued cutting out the blocks for my Christmas quilt from the jelly roll but I still have a way to go.

I am running a give away to celebrate my birthday this weekend. The give away is a quarter yard WOF piece of this fabric.




Go here to find out more and leave your comment. 

I,m linking up with Connie at Freemotion by the river for her Tuesday linky party and Lee at Freshly Pieced. Why not follow the links and see what everyone has been doing.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Sometimes life needs to remind us of our priorities. I hope you have a Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss of your friend and I know what you mean about time, my dad has been in the hospital this past week and things like this really change our routine. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete