Tuesday 6 November 2012

A sewing day at last and a winner.

Since making my blocks for the Wicked Blog Hop I haven't had any time for sewing but today I managed to ignore both my work and the cleaning. 

In our family everyone gets Christmas presents including the pets. usually the pets get treats and maybe a new toy but this year I decided to make them both quilts. So today I decided to get sewing on Picasso's present. A while ago I had bought a lovely cat print and I decided to combine this with black and orange solids. I also decided I needed to practice my half square triangles. The top is finished.



I am really please with my half square triangles except the one on the top row on the left. Unfortunately for some reason I cut this one wrong and so it doesn't line up properly. Normally I would have ripped it out and cut a new block but unfortunately I had used up all the orange. I went to my local quilt shop where I had originally bought the fabric but they didn't have any so I will just put up with it. Anyway I'm sure Picasso wont notice.

I had fun deciding which way to sew the half square triangles because depending how you place them you get a very different appearance. I liked this arrangement. 

Picasso was a rescue cat seven years ago. We got him from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home and he came with his own crocheted blanket. He still has the blanket but Scamp likes to run off with it and it is now looking rather sad from repeat washings. At the moment he is enjoying curling up on the quilt I made for snuggling under when watching TV. So hopefully he will like his new quilt when it is finished.

Whilst at the quilt shop I spotted some fabric that I just had to buy
.



These 4 sections are part of a 5 panel piece across the width of fabric called Clarice Cliff and designed by Fabric Freedom, London. I love the designs Clarice Cliff used to paint and fell in love with these panels. I need to buy another width as I want to make place mats with them. I shall have to go back tomorrow as the shop only had a small amount of the fabric left. Its always the way - you go to the shop to buy fabric to finish a project and end up buying fabric that starts a new project.

In the title of the post I mentioned a winner. On my day of the Wicked blog hop I had a give away. The winner is comment number 50, Annette. I have already emailed her for her mailing address and the batiks will be on their way to her in Canada soon.

I am linking this post up with Connie's Tuesday link up over at Freemotion by the river. Why not pop over and see what everyone has been up to this week.

3 comments:

  1. What a cute quilt. And I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt for Picasso is wonderful and great job on the HSTs! I'm sure he will think it is perfect. Those panels are beautiful, I hope you find enough for placemats! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is adorable for Picasso. I absolutely love the new fabric panel.

    ReplyDelete